The FSU District of Columbia Alumni Chapter has exciting news…
In collaboration with Fayetteville State University (FSU), Office of Career Services (Career Services) the FSU District of Columbia Alumni Chapter is working to identify internship and job opportunities within the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia (DMV) area available to you. Your name was provided by the Career Services as a candidate to receive this information. This email serves to direct you to links to federal, state, local government and private sector opportunities.
Career Services is committed to educating and preparing FSU’s diverse student and alumni population for graduate/professional schools and the world of work by offering career development programs and services.
Career Services is available to assist you with a wide range of support that will get you career ready and prepared from the first year through the last. Even upon graduation when you begin the journey of becoming one of our many successful alumni, Career Services is still there to help if needed. To get started and best utilize Career Services, you should complete these six steps as needed:
- Assess your interests, select a major, and create a 4-year plan to maximize internship and job opportunities
- Register and create a profile in our job seeking database – Handshake
- Get “career ready” by creating, refining, and uploading your resume (Remember it must be reviewed and approved.)
- Further your career readiness by learning how to network, develop an elevator pitch, interview, dress for success, and more
- Set up an appointment at any point along the way for individualized career assistance from our professional Career Counselors or Peer Career Coaches.
Now…by accessing the FSU DMV Alumni Chapter website: https://fsudcalumni.org you will find links to internships and jobs within the DMV. The Office of Career Services stands ready to assist with support in the application process should you have any questions.
HELPING BRONCOS WITH DC CAREERS
The Fayetteville State University DC Area Alumni Chapter is focused on helping students with their career success. Top Employers in Washington, DC area include:
- Federal Government Jobs: The largest employer in the Washington DC area is the federal government. To search and apply for federal jobs, visit USAJOBS: https://www.usajobs.gov/
- Amazon: Amazon has several offices in the Washington DC area, including its second headquarters in Arlington, Virginia. To explore career opportunities at Amazon, visit Amazon Jobs: https://www.amazon.jobs/en/
- Booz Allen Hamilton: Booz Allen Hamilton is a management and technology consulting firm with offices throughout the DC area. To search for job openings, visit Booz Allen Hamilton Careers: https://careers.boozallen.com/
- Capital One: Capital One is a banking and financial services company headquartered in McLean, Virginia, with several offices throughout the DC area. To view job openings, visit Capital One Careers: https://www.capitalonecareers.com/
- Deloitte: Deloitte is a professional services firm with several offices in the DC area. To search for job opportunities, visit Deloitte Careers.
- Georgetown University: Georgetown University is a private research university located in Washington DC. To view current job openings, visit Georgetown University Careers: https://careers.georgetown.edu/
- Howard University: Howard University is a historically Black university located in Washington DC. To explore employment opportunities, visit Howard University Jobs: https://hr.howard.edu/careers
- Marriott International: Marriott International is a hotel and hospitality company headquartered in Bethesda, Maryland, with several locations throughout the DC area. To search for job openings, visit Marriott Careers: https://careers.marriott.com/
- MedStar Health: MedStar Health is a healthcare system with several hospitals and medical centers in the DC area. To view job opportunities, visit MedStar Health Careers: https://careers.medstarhealth.org/global/en
- Northrop Grumman: Northrop Grumman is a global aerospace and defense company with several offices in the DC area. To search for job openings, visit Northrop Grumman Careers: https://www.northropgrumman.com/careers/
Because the Federal Government is the top employer in the Washington, DC area there are a wide range of job opportunities available in many different fields, such as healthcare, education, law enforcement, finance, engineering, and more. Some examples of federal government agencies include the Department of Agriculture, Department of Defense, Department of Education, Department of Justice, Department of Transportation, and Environmental Protection Agency.
To search for job openings with the federal government, you can visit the USAJOBS website (www.usajobs.gov), which is the official job board for the federal government. On the website, you can create an account, search for job openings, and apply for positions.
When applying for federal government jobs, it is important to note that the application process can be lengthy and competitive. In addition to submitting a resume and cover letter, applicants may need to go through a series of assessments, such as interviews, skills tests, and security clearances. However, federal government jobs typically offer competitive salaries, comprehensive benefits packages, and job security.
Some Fayetteville State University DC Area Alumni Chapter Members are building special internship programs for Broncos interested in working with the federal government.
U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) – FSU Alum Steve Owens https://www.usaid.gov/
Department of Transportation (DOT) – Dr. Willie Smith https://www.transportation.gov/
More details about these programs will be announced soon.
You may also want to consider working for local government agencies in the Washington, DC area. One great employer is DC Government. There are a variety of job opportunities available with the DC government, ranging from administrative positions to public safety and healthcare roles. Some common job titles within the DC government include:
- Administrative Assistant
- IT Specialist
- Police Officer
- Public Health Analyst
- Social Worker
- Park Ranger
To search for available job positions with the DC government, you can visit the DC Department of Human Resources website at https://dchr.dc.gov/. You can also check job listings on popular job search websites like Indeed or LinkedIn.
When applying for jobs with the DC government or any government agency, be sure to carefully review the job requirements and application instructions, as they may vary by position.